MEFF - Multicultural Eid Festival & Fair


MEFF marks 34 years of celebrations on Sunday 8 July 2018 at Fairfield Showground. It's the first, largest and longest running Multicultural Eid Festival in Australia, and one of the most anticipated events on Sydney’s multicultural calendar. 

MEFF was established in 1985 by the Islamic Foundation for Education and Welfare (IFEW), and is run by the Australian MEFF consortium , a non-profit, community-based organisation. It's an annual event usually celebrated on the Sunday following Eid-Ul-Fitr.

Each year, the Festival welcomes tens of thousands of people from over 35 communities, with over 150  stalls, amazing traditional cultural performances, free entertainment, thrilling rides and the greatest attraction of them all – an Animatronic life-size Baby T-Rex Dinosaur! It's a family fun day for all.

So come and celebrate Australian multiculturalism at its best at the 34th anniversary of MEFF! Whatever your taste in shopping, food and entertainment, the Multicultural Eid Festival & Fair is for you, family and friends! Check out all the details and entertainment at .


Boosting the social inclusion of LGBTI seniors

NSW health promotion organisation ACON is hosting a free community event for older lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people to help reduce social isolation and promote social connection.

The Sydney event is part of ACON’s LOVE (Living Older Visibly and Engaged) Project that aims to promote the health and wellbeing of the older LGBTI community.

The Social Connections event targets LGBTI people over 55 to encourage the development of support networks and community relationships.

At the event to be held in Glebe, older LGBTI people can learn about ways to connect with local community groups, engage in volunteering opportunities and discover helpful resources.

Activities such as social dancing and self-defence mini classes are also on offer.

For more information or to register for the event, click here.

The event is sponsored by the City of Sydney.


Access requirements for NDIS

This page contains a detailed summary of the access requirements for becoming a participant in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

If you are a person with disability who wishes to participate in the NDIS, you must first be assessed against the access requirements.

Availability in your area

To access the NDIS right now, you must live in an area where the NDIS is available. In some of these areas, you also need to be a certain age to access the Scheme.

Until the Scheme has been rolled out in your area, existing Commonwealth, state and territory government funded disability services will continue.

Contact details for Commonwealth, state and territory government disability services are on the Other services in your State or your Territory page.

Find out if the NDIS is available in your area, e.g. New South Wales

For more information view the Our sites page, and the Completing your Access Request page.

Residency Requirements

You may meet the residency requirements if you live in Australia and:

  • are an Australian citizen, OR
  • hold a Permanent Visa, OR
  • hold a Protected Special Category Visa, (i.e. you were in Australia on a Special Category Visa on 26 February 2001, OR had been in Australia for at least 12 months in the 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001 and you returned to Australia after that day)

Disability Requirements

You may meet the disability requirements if:

  • you have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent (i.e. it is likely to be life long) and
  • your impairment substantially reduces your ability to participate effectively in activities, or perform tasks or actions unless you have assistance from other people OR you have assistive technology or equipment (other than common items such as glasses) OR you can't participate effectively even with assistance or aides and equipment and
  • your impairment affects your capacity for social and economic participation and
  • you are likely to require support under the NDIS for your lifetime.

An impairment that varies in intensity e.g. because the impairment is of a chronic episodic nature may still be permanent, and you may require support under the NDIS for your lifetime, despite the variation.

Early Intervention Requirements

You may meet the early intervention requirements if you have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent and there is evidence that getting supports now (early interventions) will help you by:

  • reducing how much help you will need to do things because of your impairment in the future and 
  • improving or reducing deterioration of your functional capacity or
  • helping your family and carers to keep helping you and
  • those supports are most appropriately funded through the NDIS, and not through another service system.

OR if you are a child aged under 6 years of age with developmental delay which results in:

  • substantially reduced functional capacity in one or more of the areas of self-care, receptive and expressive language, cognitive development or motor development and
  • results in the need for a combination and sequence of special interdisciplinary or generic care, treatment or other services which are of extended duration, and are individually planned and coordinated; and
  • those supports are most appropriately funded through the NDIS, and not through another service system.


(Source – NDIS Department of Human Services)


Getting a Home Care Package

If you have decided that you would like to get a Home Care Package, the first step is to arrange an assessment. Once you’ve been assessed and approved, you’ll then need to choose a provider, such as First Call Nursing. 

Being assessed for a Home Care Package

Before you can get a Home Care Package, you’ll need to check your eligibility and have an assessment.

Checking your eligibility

Home Care Packages are meant for older people, but there is no minimum age requirement.

There are no citizenship or residency restrictions on Home Care Packages, however, they are not meant for visitors to Australia or people who need only temporary or short-term care. If you want short-term care, the Commonwealth Home Support Program might be a better option for you.

ACAT assessments

Home Care Package assessments are done by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), or ACAS in Victoria. An ACAT professional visits you in your home to find out about your needs. They assess whether you are eligible for a Home Care Package (or other assistance) and what level of help you will need.

ACAT assessments are free.

Arranging an assessment

To arrange an ACAT assessment, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. You can ask for an interpreter if you need one.

Before you call, have your Medicare card ready and the contact details of your doctor and a family member. You may also like to prepare by writing down a few things that are starting to be challenging for you.

My Aged Care will ask you some questions about: 

  • your living arrangements
  • your health and wellbeing
  • things you find difficult to do
  • support you are currently receiving.

Based on your answers, My Aged Care will work out whether you need an ACAT assessment or an assessment for a different service, like the Commonwealth Home Support Program. They will help to arrange an assessment for a time that suits you.

During the assessment

During the assessment visit, the ACAT member (usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional) will ask questions about how well you are managing in your day-to-day life. They will also explain the assessment process.

The assessment is an opportunity for you to share what is important to you and what support would make a difference in your life. It might be helpful to think about this before the visit.

You can have a friend, family member, partner, carer or advocate with you during the assessment. To find a local advocate, contact the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

After the assessment

After the assessment, the ACAT will write to you with the outcome and explain what level of Home Care Package you are eligible for.  

If you disagree with your assessment you can appeal the decision. Alternatively, discuss your concerns with an advocate by calling the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

Once you have been assessed and approved, you decide if you want to accept the services. It’s your life and your choice. Some older people are worried that having an assessment means a fast-track into a nursing home. The truth is that most people will be linked into community care services that help them stay living in their own home.

Source: Homecaretoday